Tuesday, February 14, 2012

furniture love

for those of you that know me – you know that i am a bit obsessed with furniture….my house is full, however it doesn’t stop me from being tempted when i find a unique piece that needs some love :)  my friend joanne has even put me on “restriction” from buying more.   although i have to admit after rearranging my living room last night….there may be room for one more piece! 
we have pretty much furnished our home from craigslist, local flea markets and family hand-me-downs.  other than outdoor furniture and pieces for the kids' rooms, we’ve only bought one piece of furniture new – which was an investment – but is one of my favorites :)
i'm going to post several articles listing ways that you can find inexpensive & unique furniture....here's my first suggestion:

side of the road:  yes – i am making this into it’s own category as i have found several pieces on the side of the road.  whenever we drive by a piece of furniture left at the curb, my husband speeds up so i don’t have a chance to look at it….my mind is always thinking about the next project and as soon as i see any piece on the side of the road – i quickly start to think how i can refurbish it :)  since our garage is full of my “projects”  i don’t get to “shop” curbside until it’s cleared out :)

so this was one of my favorite finds............

jake and i were on our evening walk and i saw this on the side of the road.  i couldn’t believe it!  it has such great lines and curves and i knew that i could transform it into a great piece.  so my wonderful husband picked it up and carried it home.  i couldn’t understand why anyone would get rid of this……until as my husband was carrying it home i saw it was missing a leg!!! oooops!  well luckily we were able to do our own fix and screwed in an inexpensive finial in place of the leg.  i definitely couldn’t sell this piece, however it works and it looks great in my little seating area. 
before

after







i'm so happy with the way this dresser turned out!  the color works great in our house and the entire project only took me a few hours.   

best deal – side of the road for free!  paint was $15! 

1 comment:

  1. You really did such a great job, Noelle.
    I love the color!

    ReplyDelete